Thursday 26 November 2009

Skeleton Program (Coursework)

Hi folks,

OK, I am sorry for those that expected this yesterday but it took about 4 hours longer than expected! At the bottom of this post is a link to a skeleton program that contains 4 screens, a thread and the RMS that you need to save and load user data. The RMS took a lot longer than expected and the music player you will get in tomorrow's lecture had to be coded tonight as well.

OK, so here's the details.

* You have a skeleton program that provides you with four screens
* Splash Screen
* User Info Screen
* Game Screen
* Game Over Screen

The example also shows you how to setup a game canvas with a game loop and provides the code to setting up and accessing persistent storage on a phone. If I am being totally honest I think you have all done rather well with this code!! I would STRONGLY advise you download the files and re-type them out. I feel that you get a better understanding when you are forced to type the code rather than copy and paste. It should take you about an hour to recopy my code into netbeans but I would encourage you to do so!

Regardless, I have tried my best to comment it to the point of ridicule so start with programming (or reading) in the following order

* GameMidlet
* SplashScreen
* UserInfoScreen
* GameScreen
* GameOverScreen

While I am happy to help in any way I can I would appreciate if you, as students, understood the effort and time that went into both your tutorial for Friday and this skeleton. All I ask is that you spend some of your time looking over it. You are welcome to rip off the code completely or pick and choose what you want to use.

If you have questions you are able to post to this blog or email me at c.mccreadie@abertay.ac.uk
You can of course wait until we have the next tutorial but feedback from the code is always helpful so any constructive criticism is welcome and encouraged.

See you all next week

See HERE for code.

EDIT: After downloading and extracting you should be able to open in netbeans if you "open project". I would still suggest re-typing the program but for those that need the quick fix ....

Chris

No comments: